Quit Now or Stay in School?
Spring term is good time to offer students the opportunity to consider why continuing their education will expand their future choices.
Here’s a sample Career Research Project I’ve used with Sophomores. Here’s link to an assignment that requires similar thinking and is adaptable for eighth graders. The presentation can be by individuals or small groups. Invite students to determine logical groups. For example: Similar fields (farming, manufacturing, medicine, teaching) or similar kind of preparation needed (apprenticeship, internship, on-the-job.)
General Outline for Career Paper
(5-7 Word Processed Pages)
(Be sure to keep accurate notes on sources of information. You will need these sources both for end notes and bibliography required for this assignment.
I. WHO AM I?
- Interests and abilities
- Strengths and weaknesses
II. WHAT CAREER IS FOR ME? (YourFreeCareerTest.com)
- Specific Skills needed
- My interests and abilities that prepare me for this career
III. HOW I SUMMARIZE INTERVIEW WITH SOMEONE IN THIS CAREER/FIELD/JOB
IV. WHAT MUST I DO TO ENTER THIS FIELD?
- Schooling needed
- High School
- Vocational, Technical or Business School
- Training needed
- Money I need to prepare
- Fees (lab, equipment, tools, supplies, books)
- Room and board
- Military options
- Financial help available
- Own job
V. WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO LEARN IN THIS CAREER/JOB?
- Hourly wages
VI. WHERE MUST I LEAVE TO PRACTICE MY PROFESSION?
Career Search Check List
Your Career Search Folder should contain the following documents, worksheets, and/or pieces of information. Check them off as you complete them. You will NEED most of information in your folder to access data for the RESEARCH PAPER and PRESENTATION you will complete LAST.
- ____ BUDGET (What are current costs to live independently? (Housing, transportation, insurance, food, clothing, recreation, utilities, etc. )
- ____ HOW MUCH CAN I EARN IF I QUIT SCHOOL NOW? (Use real job advertisements in your area to determine income without high school diploma.)
- ____ EXPLORING WORK VALUES
- ____ WORK INTEREST CHECK LIST
- ____ MY SKILLS PREFERENCES LIST (Print results of on-line survey)
- ____ MY TALENT CHECK LIST (Print results of on-line check-up)
- ____ AM I LIMITING CAREER OPPORTUNITIES? What jobs utilize my skill and interests?
- ____ PRINT OUT OF RESULTS OF TWO CAREER SEARCH INVENTORIES
- ____ THREE LETTERS OF REFERENCE
- ___ CAREER RESEARCH PAPER – (See suggested outline above) w/END NOTES
- ___ POWER POINT or PREZI SLIDES (6-8) for GROUP PRESENTATION
- ___ BIBLIOGRAPHY OF SOURCES CONSULTED
Grading Rubric Ideas based on Customizing Rubric
and Describing It When Assignment Given
C = Complete = Everything turned in completed and on time
B = Complete and Correct
- Career Paper – Earned mainly 4-5 on
- Complete – Responds to all elements in assignment
- Each group member contributed 4-5 slides
- Balanced number of minutes spoken by group members
- Graphics supported, expanded, enhanced oral remarks
- Completed within time limit
A = Complete, Correct and Creative
- Writing earned mainly 5 and 6 on Customized Rubric
- Presentation – Unusual, creative, and effective use of graphics, music, props, or movement