August 16, 2016
Dear Retired and Soon-to-be Retired Friends,
Thanks so much for taking the time to read our update on Emeritus Assembly (EA of NCTE). We hope you’re enjoying your summer! Here are some announcements, invitations, and important notes about the upcoming NCTE Annual Convention in Atlanta:
- NCTE has approved our request for a discounted NCTE Convention registration fee! This 50% discount option now appears on the online registration page, linked here.
- We have volunteered to host the First Timers event at the convention; time and place TBA.
- Please stop and greet us at the EA of NCTE table; check at the NCTE store for our location.
- Alan Brown of CEE Graduate Strand invites us to the new teachers session “The Future is Now” which will take place on Saturday, November 19 from 1:15 – 2:30 p.m. in the Georgia World Congress Center B401/B402. Alan Brown wants us be present for two reasons: to meet and establish relationships with new and early career educators and to be an audience for them as they make what may be their first presentation at a national convention.
- EA of NCTE’s open business meeting will take place on Saturday at 5:45 in B-307 of the Georgia World Congress Center during SIG (Special Interest Groups) meeting time. We’ll share the ratified version our updated constitution at this meeting, and then invite those who have tickets to join us at the Scholastic Dinner.
- Please add to your schedule our EA of NCTE round table session “Who Advocates for New Teachers?” will take place on Sunday, November 20, from 10:30 am – 11:45 am, A411 in the Georgia World Congress Center.
We are in conversation with the Conference on English Education to propose a new Commission of Experienced Teachers within CEE with the goal of mentoring early career educators and collecting for publication memoirs of veteran and novice ELA teachers. More details on this exciting development in our next mailing.
We look forward to meeting and greeting you in Atlanta.
Anna J. Small Roseboro, Acting Chair
Claudia A. Marschall, Acting Secretary
Emeritus Assembly of NCTE