Poetry Project Handouts
This set of handouts includes guidelines to provide students with what they need to complete an in-depth poetry project based on the Poetry T.I.M.E. approach to poetry analysis. This resource can be adapted easily to the analysis approach that you teach. See Chapters 7 and 8 in my book for description and application of POETRY T.I.M.E.
POETRY- Project – B -Long Version
POETRY PROJECT in THREE PARTS
Due ________ PART I – Featured Poet – (Keep complete bibliography records.)
1. Select a poet from the list provided.
2. Read several poems by this poet.
3. Choose 4 favorites from among these read and copy them.
4. Read biographical information on the poet.
5 Write, in your own words, a brief bio-sketch on the featured poet.
6. Tell T.I.M.E. of two (2) of these poems.
7. Memorize a poem by featured poet (14 lines minimum).
Due _______ PART II – Poems on a Theme
1. Collect and photocopy three poems you like that all have same theme.
2. Write essay showing similarities and differences between two of them and reason(s) you prefer one over the other.
3. Choose one of these poems with a pattern you like; then, WRITE a poem of your own following the pattern of the poem you’ve chosen.
Due ______ PART III – Share your collection
1. Recite for class the poem you memorized by your featured poet.
2. Give a two (2) minutes oral analysis of the poem (T.I.M.E.), the tell why you selected this particular poem to share.
3. Make a booklet of the poems you collects for Parts I and II.
4. Include your book report narrative.
5. Illustrate your poems with original art, borders, pictures from magazines, newspapers, or computer art.
6. Make neat final copies of revised, corrected biography and analyses.
7. You may print on word processor or write neatly in blue or black ink. Be consistent in form throughout your booklet.
8. Follow this order for title page, table of contents and bibliography.
_____ Title Page
_____ Table of Contents
_____ Biography of featured poet
_____ Four poems by featured poet
_____ T.I.M.E. analysis of two poems by featured poet
_____ Poems on chosen theme
_____ Essay comparing two poems on chosen theme
_____ Poem you patterned
_____ Book report poem
_____ Other original poetry written during the unit
_____ Bibliography (list all books used for this project)
_____ Blank page
_____ Grading sheet