Complete an analysis by telling the T.I.M.E. of the poem. (See page 5 in handout packet at this link.)
Click Writing about Poetry w-Grading Guidelines for printable assignment sheets.
- What is most memorable idea, image or literary device you recall about the poem? What direct quotation from the poem would be an effective attention getter?
- State the title and author of the poem.
- State your thesis – what ideas will you have in each paragraph?
- What is the poem about? Consider T. information.
- What is the structure of the poem? Consider I. and M. information.
- Use the literary terms to discuss your response.
- What is the author’s attitude? Your response? Consider E. information.
- Summarize ideas discussed by connecting the structure to the message and/or your response to the poem.
- How did the author’s use of images and music convey the message and influence your response?
PEER RESPONSE for Poetry Analysis
_____ Attention getter is effective
_____Mentions poem title and author
_____ Thesis statement indicates order of development
_____ Personal response to poem is supported with evidence
_____Structure of poem is accurately identified
_____Theme/thought or main idea seems logical
_____Shows relationship between person response, structure and theme
_____Summarizes main ideas discussed
_____Reflects on thesis
_____Reflects personal understanding of poem
_____Includes correct use of poetry and literary terms
_____ Transitions show connection between ideas and paragraphs
_____Have fewer than three MUGS errors (mechanics, usage, grammar, spelling)
Plans for Revision:
In order to improve this analysis, I must do the following:
Teacher evaluation/comments: (Turn in this sheet with final draft of poetry analysis.)