Setting: The time and the place
When do the events of a story take place?
In what way(s) does setting evoke mood and/or express tone?*
- Time of day: dawn, morning, afternoon, evening, night
- Time of year: winter spring, summer, fall
- Time of life: childhood, teen years, adult, old age
- Time in history: pre-historic, medieval, Elizabethan Age, future
- Area of place: inside, outside, porch, roof, basement or cellar
- Locale: city, country, mountains, sea, valley, forest
- Continent: Africa, Asia, Europe, North or South America
- Galaxy: Earth, another planet, another galaxy
Mood: the way the story make ME, the reader feel about the topic or what’s going on in the story.
Tone: the expression of the auThor’s aTTitude Towards the Topic or what’s going on in the reading.